«Kinotavr» is Russia’s biggest open film festival. It takes place in Sochi annually, this year its 23th time. The opening ceremony will take place evening June 3rd. The last day of the festival is June 10th.There are fifteen movies in the competition program; they’ve been selected from over 300 films.
The festival takes place in Sochi’s Zimny Theater. There is a big area in front of it, where they usually paint “star path” (blue path with white stars), which guests of the festival take to the theater’s steps. But sometimes they just lay down a red carpet, like they do for the Oscars. While the official things are going on inside, outside they play movies for everyone else, if the weather permits.
- The eight days of the festival are filled with a variety of events, among which people can choose according to their own interest. Thus, “Kinotavr” is:
- Competition, non-competition and special screenings of the most interesting films of the year. The tradition of the special programme “Cinema on the Square” is especially precious to the citizens and visitors of Sochi. In the evenings, on the big square in front of the Winter Theatre, some thousand people gather to watch great cinema directly under the starry sky of Sochi.
- Professional round tables, masters-classes, press conferences with cinematographers.
- The impressive opening and closing ceremonies of “Kinotavr”.
- The cultural programme: concerts by stars, shows and entertainment.
Hollywood stars have visited «Kinotavr» too. For example, in 2002 Dolph Lundgren attended opening ceremony, and Eric Roberts was present at the festival’s closing.